Holmes County is about 80% Amish and has the second largest Amish community in the world. The main towns are Berlin, Millersburg and Walnut Creek.
- Go to a weekly livestock auction – the Amish line their buggies up outside
- Visit a roadside stall or local market – the Amish make the best vanilla ice cream maybe try it with “Shoo Fly Pie”
- Go to the Amish and Mennonite Heritage Centre and learn about their culture
- Visit Hershberger Farm and Bakery for an insight into their farming practices and eat some fantastic home-made produce
- Book a tour to have a meal with an Amish family. Often you are able to purchase their wares – a handmade quilt, wooden childrens’ toys, leather work or articles of clothing, to name a few.
- Spend some time at Yoder’s Amish Home
- Hire a bike and cycle along the buggie paths – which are separate from the road
- Stay at a quirky treehouse in Berlin
- Enjoy the peace and quiet of the countryside